This topic identifies the key steps involved in checking rules and mappings which have been applied, adding missing rules and applying these to the data. This will also explain how to update variable descriptions to avoid <unknown> or ***auto-created*** in your report.
Checking and Updating Rules in a Conversion Table
Before running the Item Code Mapping MultiTask, you should check the rules which will be applied to the item codes based on the entries they have for other variables. For general information, please see Code Conversion Tables for Item Mapping.
Depending on if the variable is a classification-based rule (3rd character is C) or an item code rule (3rd character is I) will depend on how to check and update the Source Code part of the rules. In addition to this you will also need to set:
- Target Code - This is the entry you want to add to the Target Variable Index set above. If you are unsure of the code used in IFP then these can be found in the relevant Item Code Classification Maintenance Values table.
- Factor - For mapping tables, this will always be 1.
- Description - This is a suitable description for the rule.
Applying the Item Code Mapping MultiTask
A MultiTask has been set up in each database in order to apply the mapping rules found in the Code Conversion Table to variables which do not currently have an entry for a specific variable. To run the MultiTask:
- From IFP Home select Databases/Files > AutoTask Manager > Item Mappings
- Select the Assign All Item Mappings MultiTask and from the toolbar click Run
- Click Run AutoTask and check any warning messages to ensure all items were mapped successfully.
Please note the name and folder structure for this MultiTask may be different in your database.
You can view an AutoTask’s Properties (selections, favourites etc.) by selecting the AutoTask and clicking the Properties button. If you need to change these Properties, see How to Edit an AutoTask.
Checking Applied Mappings
Once the field mappings have been applied these can be checked in 2 ways:
- Launch Item Codes Maintenance for all Item Codes and check the records have the expected mappings
- Run reports which will show the hierarchy of Item Code, Brand, Local Franchise, Local BU
If there are any mappings which are incorrect you can update these manually in Item Codes Maintenance or update the relevant conversion table rules and apply these again.
Manually Applying Mapping Tables
If you find a mapping is incorrect and the rule has been updated, you will need to change this in Item Codes Maintenance. This can be done as explained in Applying Item Code mapping Models.
When applying these IFP will apply the rules to all cells selected for the corresponding variable. Therefore if you are only updating a specific code/set of codes within a variable, for example Brand ABC should be moved from Local BU 01 to Local BU 02, then when making selections for Item Codes Maintenance you should include Brand ABC only.
Updating Variable Descriptions
Once you have updated and applied the mappings, you should update the Item Code Classification Variables list for any variable which has a new entry. For more information on this please see Maintaining Classification Variables Codes and Descriptions.